2018 Municipal Elections

2018 voterlookup.ca button-3 

Questions regarding the
2018 Municipal Elections can be submitted to :

  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


 Melanie Ducharme, Clerk at 705-753-2250 ext. 6926
Janice Dupuis, Deputy Clerk at 705-753-2250 ext. 6907




Key Dates 

 May 1, 2018  Nominations Open
 July 27, 2018  Nomination Day (last day to be nominated or for withdrawl, closes at 2:00pm)
 August 21, 2018  Preliminary List of Electors Release from MPAC 
 September 26, 2018  Ballot Mail Out 
 October 11, 2018  Last Day to return ballots by mail with assured delivery 

 October 22, 2018                                          

 Voting Day  and last day for address/school board changes for ballot mail out. (changes can still be made at Town Hall until 8:00pm on october 22 and a ballot will be provided) 
 December 1, 2018  Council Term Begins
 December 31, 2018  Campaign Period Ends
 March 29, 2019  Financial Statement Filing Deadline


2018 Election Candidates

Certified Candidates - 2018 Elections

Contact sheet for 2018 Municipal Council Candidates 

Contact sheet for 2018 Candidates for School Board Trustees 


Voter Information

Your name must be on the voters’ list in order for you to cast a ballot.

Verify on voterlookup.ca to make sure that your name appears on the voters' list and to confirm your eligibility to vote in municipal elections. On this site, you can add your name to the voters' list, if needed, update your personal information, change your school board support, if needed, and add other eligible electors at your address.

You can also make those changes by coming to Town Hall until October 22, 2018. 101-225 Holditch Street Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. Be sure to bring acceptable documents for voter identification. 

Useful Links

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Your Ward

Voterlookup Video

Video: How to Vote by Mail

Voters' Guide


Volunteering Opportunity

The Municipality of West Nipissing is currently seeking interested applicants for appointment as the Municipality ’s representative to the 2018 General Municipal Election Joint Compliance Audit Committee.  

See details and requirements here 2018 Municipal Elections Joint Compliance Audit Committee 

Please complete the  Volunteer Profile Application Form. Submit the form with your résumé or brief biography either by mail, fax, or e-mail to the attention of the undersigned on or before 4:30 PM on September 7, 2018.

Melanie Ducharme
Municipal Clerk / Greffière municipale
101-225 rue Holditch Street, Sturgeon Falls, ON P2B 1T1
Fax/Télec: (705) 753-3950
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Candidate Information
(Mayor / Councillor / School Board Trustee)

To run for a position on council you must be eligible to vote in that municipality. On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, and qualify as a resident or non-resident elector.

You can run in any ward – you do not have to live in a particular ward in order to be its councillor.

To run for a trustee position on a school board you must be a resident within the jurisdiction of the board and you must be eligible to vote in a school board election. On the day you file your nomination, you must be a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older and you must meet any other qualifications to vote for the school board.

Useful Links

Candidate's Guide

Election Campaign Finance Information

Application to Amend Voter's List (Form)


Third Party Advertiser Information 

Third party advertising refers to advertisements or other materials that support, promote or oppose a candidate. Third party in this context is a person or entity who is not a candidate.

Third party advertising is separate from any candidate’s campaign, and must be done independently from a candidate. Any advertisements or materials that are made and distributed by a candidate, or under a candidate’s direction, are part of the candidate’s campaign.

For more information on these changes, refer to the Third Party Advertiser's Guide


Municipal Elections Act and Relevant Bylaws

Municipal elections in all Ontario municipalities are governed by the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the “MEA”).  On June 9, 2016, the Municipal Elections Modernization Act, 2016, or Bill 181, received Royal Assent, making a number of changes to the MEA.

For more information on these changes, visit the Municipal Elections Act Review 

Municipal Election By-Law 2018/27

Govern the Use of Corporate Resources for a Municipal Election  2018/34 



Cache Bay • Crystal Falls • Desaulniers • Field • Kipling • Lavigne • North Monetville • River Valley • Sturgeon Falls • Verner