Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all recreational facilities and outdoor amenities are now closed until further notice.
All participants are welcome in our swimming lessons.Please contact the Recreation Centre if your child requires special considerations to ensure needs are met in a fun, safe manner.
To determine which swimming level your child is in, book your free Aquatic Skill Testing today!
West Nipissing Community and Recreation Centre
219 O'Hara Street
Sturgeon Falls, ON
Private and Semi-private lesson registrations open on January 5 at 8:30 a.m.
Group lesson (Swim Preschool and Swim Kids) registrations open on January 12 at 8:30 a.m.
- A credit card is needed to register online
- Registration for private, semi-private or group classes may be made online or in person (not over the phone)
- Call the Recreation Centre prior to registering to ensure your eligibility for the membership discount
Questions? Call the Recreation Centre at 705.753.0160.
Red Cross Swimming Levels
Not sure what level to register for?
Book your swimming skills test prior to registering.
Free Aquatic Skill testing (takes 10 minutes or less) by appointment: 705.753.0160
Red Cross Swim Preschool
Starfish (4-12 months), Duck (12-24 months) and Sea Turtle (24-36 months) are group lessons for young swimmers and their parents/caregivers.
Sea Otter, Salamander, Sunfish, Crocodile and Whale are group lessons for swimmers ages 3 to 6.
Swimmers ages 3 and up are permitted to be in the pool with the Water Safety Instructor without direct parental supervision. However, to accompany your young swimmer in the water to ease nerves, please speak with your child's instructor so they can plan for your presence.
Red Cross Swim Kids
Swim Kids Levels 1-10 are for swimmers ages 6 and older.
Transitioning from Swim Preschool to Swim Kids
Once swimmers turn 7 years old, they are no longer eligible for the Swim Preschool program. Please use the following equivalency chart to determine which level to enroll your swimmer in:
|Current Swim Preschool Level||Equivalent Swim Kids Level|
|Incomplete or complete Sea Otter/Salamander||Swim Kids Level 1|
|Incomplete Sunfish||Swim Kids Level 1|
|Complete Sunfish or incomplete Crocodile||Swim Kids Level 2|
|Complete Crocodile or incomplete Whale||Swim Kids Level 3|
|Complete Whale||Swim Kids Level 4|
Registration and Payment
- All classes must be paid at the time of registration
- For gift certificates, credits on your account, or funding agencies (i.e. JumpStart or KidSport), please register in person at the Recreation Centre. Confirmation of funding received must be presented at the time of registration (a letter from the organization or a confirmation number).
- Swimmers may register for one class per session only.
- A Family Membership to the Community and Recreation Centre is the only level of membership eligible for a swimming lesson discount.
Preparing for your swimming lesson
Other than a swimsuit, other equipment or aids are not required:
- Life jackets will be provided by the facility
- Water wings and goggles in Swim Preschool levels are discouraged.
- In advanced swimming levels, goggles are encouraged but not mandatory.
In addition, please note:
- Long hair must be tied back or braided.
- All swimmers must have a cleansing shower prior to entering the pool.
Frequently Asked Questions
I think my child is registered in the wrong level. Is it possible to change classes?
We will make every attempt to accommodate swimmers. However, there is no guarantee there will be a vacancy in their desired class. If you are unsure of your swimmer's level, book an Aquatic Skill test prior to registering.
Are all Water Safety Instructors bilingual?
Some instructors are unilingual. If your child requires instruction only in French, all attempts will be made to assign a bilingual Water Safety Assistant to their class.
Am I eligible to receive a swimming lessons member discount with my gym membership?
A current Family Membership is the only level of facility membership eligible for a swimming lesson discount.