Good to know
On April 1, 2020, the Municipality provided some financial relief to support ratepayers during the difficult and uncertain times. This included freezing penalties and interest charges on overdue accounts.
The interest-free grace period for outstanding tax and water balances ended on October 31, 2020. All remaining balances will be subject to late payment penalty and interest charges.
Taxes are payable to The Corporation of the Municipality of West Nipissing.
- By mail
- In person: cash, debit, cheque (drop off box)
- Online banking or telebanking
- At a financial institution of your choice
- Pre-Authorized Payments
Municipality of West Nipissing
225 Holditch Street
Sturgeon Falls, ON P2B 1T1
2020 Due Dates
1st instalment due August 27, 2020
2nd instalment due October 22, 2020
The Municipality of West Nipissing offers 3 convenient pre-authorized payment plan options:
Twelve Month Plan
Annual taxes owing are withdrawn over 12 months on the 1st of every month.
Annual taxes owing are withdrawn 4 times a year on the instalment due dates.
12 monthly withdrawals. (Subject to penalty and interest on any balance outstanding on the first of every month).
Download the Pre-Authorized Debit Payment form.
*Ratepayers will also see a Solid Waste fee on their tax bill as per the Solid Waste By-law 2019/37
*Tax rates are based on your property’s Current Value Assessment and class, which are determined by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). Find the current value of your property on your Assessment Notice from MPAC or on your municipal tax bill.
Request for Reconsideration
If you are considering applying for a new assessment on your property, create an account on aboutmyproperty.ca using your key number received on your current Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) assessment to compare your property assessment with 10 other similar properties.
If you disagree with the current assessment of your property’s value and/or classification, you can request to MPAC to review and reconsider your assessment.
For more information, or to submit an application to MPAC, download the 2020 Request for Reconsideration.
Application for a Reduction in Taxes
Property owners may apply for relief from taxes through a reassessment of their property in the following instances:
- The property is eligible to be reclassified in a different class of real property;
- The land has become vacant or excess land during the year or preceding year;
- The land has become exempt from taxation during the year or preceding year;
- A building on the property was razed or damaged by fire or demolition, rendering it unusable;
- A mobile unit on the land was removed during the year or preceding year
- A person was overcharged due to a gross or manifest error that is clerical or factual in nature;
- Repairs or renovations to the land prevented normal use of the land for at least three months of the year;
- Any overcharge is caused by a gross manifest error in the preparation of the assessment roll that is clerical or factual in nature;
Download the Application for the Reduction in Taxes.
The Municipality of West Nipissing, pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act cannot release tax information to the public without a formal request for a Tax Certificate. A written request must be submitted to our office along with a payment in the amount of $30.00 / parcel.
Once the information has been processed, we forward the certificate either by fax or by mail.
We ask that all requests be received a minimum of three (3) days before the required deadline to allow staff sufficient time to prepare the certificate.