Skip to Content

Regarding Planning, Development and Land Use

What is a zoning by-law?

Any use of a building, structure, or addition to an existing structure must meet the provisions of the Zoning By-law. This includes, but is not limited to: commercial uses of buildings; where and how far from your lot line decks, balconies, and window bays are from the edge of your property; provisions for parking and driveways; and provisions for boathouses, gazebos, saunas, and swimming pools.

For more information about zoning, view the Planning page.

How do I find out what the zoning of my property is?

To know what your zone is, select “find an address” on the zoning map.

Alternatively, you can find out the zoning of a property by consulting the map of your area via the Comprehensive Zoning By-law Schedules, or by contacting Planning Services.

Can I change the zoning of my property?

You can apply for a Zoning Amendment through the Municipality. Please note that a formal consultation meeting with Planning Services is required prior to filling out the Application for Official Plan Amendment/Zoning Amendment form. You can read more about this process on the Planning page.

What if my construction project doesn’t comply with the zoning of my property?

Any changes to the use of your property may be possible through the Zoning By-law Amendment or Minor Variance processes. Please consult with Planning Services to determine if your property meets the requirements under these processes.

Please contact Planning Services at 705-753-2250 ext. 6926.

Can I raise chickens on my property?

It depends on your property zonage. The raising of poultry (chickens) falls under ‘Agricultural Activities’ and may only be carried on in the zones which permit it, namely RU (Rural) and (A1 and A2) Agriculture zones.

To know what your zone is, select “find an address” on the zoning map.

Is there a rule about storing my trailer/camper at my house?

Yes. Section 4.30 and Section 5.5.2 of the Zoning By-law outlines how many recreational vehicles may be stored on a single residential property, and where they may be parked.

For example, if your property is zoned as a Residential One (R1), Residential Two (R2), Residential Three (R3), or Residential Four (R4) lot, you may store a maximum of one boat, one travel or tent trailer, and one other non-travel/utility trailer outside on a lot, at least 1.5 metres away from any lot line. If the vehicles are parked in the front yard, they must be located in the driveway. You may not have more than one travel trailer per lot in these zones.

For more information, please see Section 4.30 (Travel Trailers and Recreational Vehicles) and Section 5.5.2 (Parking of Boats and Trailers) of the Zoning By-law.

Can I carry out a business from my home?

Certain commercial activities and businesses may be run from home (Home Industries or Home Occupations), are subject to zoning regulations (see Sections 4.10 and 4.11 of the Zoning By-law). These include the types of businesses permitted in a residential dwelling, parking regulations, signage regulations, and regulations on occupation of the dwelling.

For more information, please see Section 4.10 (Home Industry) or Section 4.11 (Home Occupation) of the Zoning By-law, or contact Planning Services.

For information on starting a business, please view our resources listed on our Starting a Business page.

What are the zoning regulations for accessory structures, such as garages, gazebos, and sleeping cabins?

Section 4.2 of the Zoning By-law outlines all regulations for accessory structures – any structure on your property that is detached or attached to the building used for human habitation (except for a sleeping cabin). This includes, but is not limited to, sheds, gazebos, decks, boathouses, docks, saunas, storage containers, and swimming pools.

Please see Section 4.2 (Accessory Uses, Buildings and Structures) of the Zoning By-law for more information.

What are the zoning regulations for swimming pools?

A swimming pool is permitted in any Zone except for the Provincially Significant Wetland (PSW) Zone or Hazard (HZ) Zone Overlay. For information on the regulations surrounding swimming pools, please see Section 4.2.12 (Swimming Pools) of the Zoning By-law.

Please note that fencing is required for all privately-owned swimming pools. For information on fences for swimming pools, please see By-law 2005/40 (Fences – Swimming Pools)

Can I divide my property? Can I sell part of my property to my neighbour? Can I grant my neighbour a right of way over my property?

The subdivision and consent processes allows land to be divided, added on to or rights of way granted.

Please consult with Planning Services to determine the need and type of consent or subdivision involved.

Can I have an apartment in my house?

Apartments in houses are permitted in all zones providing they meet the regulations in Section 4.1 of the Zoning By-law. Please note that compliance with Building and Fire Regulations are also applicable.

Can I build a garage on a vacant lot?

In any residential zone, the construction of a garage without a dwelling is not permitted. Stand alone garages are permitted in the rural and agricultural zones.

For more information, please see Section 4.2.4 of the Zoning By-law.

Can I reconstruct if the building on my property is not currently compliant with the Zoning By-law?

Generally, reconstruction of a building which is destroyed by natural disaster may be reconstructed in the same place. However, the voluntary demolition or removal of a non-compliant structure may be required to comply.

Please see Section 4.16.2 of the Zoning By-law.

Can I have a storage container (Sea-cans) on my property?
Storage containers are prohibited in the following Residential Zones: R1, R2, R3, R4.
One (1) storage container OR one (1) galvanized steel structure is permitted in the Shoreline Residential Zone (SR), provided that it is not located in the front-yard set-back, and the lot on which it is proposed to be situated has an area of 4000 m(1 acre)
For a copy of By-law 2023/47, amendment to Zoning By-law 2014/45, please contact Planning Services.
How far away from my lot line can I build my fence?

Fences may be constructed up to or on a lot line, however it is strongly recommended that you obtain the services of an Ontario Land Surveyor prior to undertaking the construction of a fence.

Can the Municipality locate my property boundaries (pins)?

The Municipality is not authorized to provide information or advice on property boundaries. You must obtain the services of an Ontario Land Surveyor.

Can I obtain a building permit for a property on a private road or on an island which is not serviced by a municipal road?

Building permits may be issued for properties which are accessed by private roads, rights of way, or Crown Land. For specific requirements, please contact the Municipality and/or consult Section 4.23 of the Zoning By-law.

Is my road municipally maintained?

By-law 2014/66 includes a list of maintained roads within the Municipality of West Nipissing.

Planning and zoning maps

Contact the Planning and Development team

Blue prints, safety hat, measuring tape

Learn about the Building and Renovating processes

Back to top